Key initiatives launched by the Government to create awareness about Family Planning are as follows:
360 degree media campaign- The first phase of the campaign was launched in 2016 and the present second phase comprising TV Commercials, posters and hoardings, and a dedicated website on Family Planning was launched in 2017;
World Population Day & fortnight as well as Vasectomy Fortnight are observed every year to boost awareness across all States/ UTs.
Promotional activities like Saasbahusammelans, NayiPehel Kits, Mobile publicity vans, and advocacy meetings are undertaken to increase awareness in high fertility Mission ParivarVikas districts.
The expenditure incurred by Government on advertisements related to Family Planning during the last three years and the current year, year – wise is:
2016-17: Rs. 3154.99 lakh
2017-18: Rs. 3306.21 lakh
2018-19: Rs. 3123.20 lakh
2019-20 (till second quarter): Rs. 548.66 lakh
Public health being a state subject the primary responsibility to strengthen healthcare in the country lies with respective State Governments. However, under National Health Mission (NHM), support is provided to States/ UTs for strengthening their healthcare services based on proposals received from them.
Details of the programmes/schemes pertaining to family planning aimed at unmarried youth (males and females) within the ages of 19-24 years are given below:
Initiatives taken by the Government for promotion of family planning among India’s youth:
- New Spacing methods- New contraceptives viz. Injectable contraceptive and Centchroman have been added to the existing basket of choices.
Improved Demand generation activities through a 360 degree media campaign with special focus on Male participation.
- Redesigned Contraceptive Packaging – The packaging for Condoms, OCPs and ECPs has now been improved and redesigned so as to increase the demand for these commodities.
- Cu IUCD 375 with 5 years effectivity has been introduced in the programme as an alternative to the existing IUCD (Cu IUCD 380A with effectivity of 10 years).
- Condom boxes set up in health facilities to enable clients to access condoms in privacy.
- Dedicated RMNCH+A counselors have been appointed at high case load facilities.
- Mission ParivarVikas- The Government has launched Mission Parivar Vikas for substantially increasing access to contraceptives and family planning services in146 high fertility districts with
- Total Fertility Rate (TFR) of 3 and above in seven high focus states. These districts are from the states of Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Assam.
- Family Planning Logistic Management and Information System (FP-LMIS): A dedicated software to ensure smooth forecasting, procurement and distribution of family planning commodities across all the levels of health facilities.
The Government has already rolled out Injectable contraceptive Medroxy Progesterone Acetate (MPA) under ‘Antara programme’ at pan-India level, and service provisioning has started in all States/ UTs.
The Minister of State (Health and Family Welfare), ShAshwini Kumar Choubey stated this in a written reply in the Lok Sabha here today.